Benefits of Stainless Steel Jewellery
Stainless steel is a metal compound of iron, carbon, and chromium. Stainless steel can be used for many different applications such as surgical tools, aerospace applications and architecture.
And because Stainless steel is corrosion and heat-resistant, it can make a great addition to your jewellery box collection. The jewellery is harder to scratch and can withstand the sun, the sand, and the sea. It really takes the stress away from remembering to take off your jewellery in the shower!
Is it a good idea to buy Stainless Steel Jewellery? We’ve put together a short pros and cons list for you.
- Stainless Steel Jewellery is corrosion-free, tarnish-free, and scratch-free.
- It is incredibly durable, making it the perfect metal for everlasting jewellery.
- They don’t require much maintenance and are really easy to clean- just use warm water and soap!
- It is a medium to light metal, so it is easy and comfortable to wear.
- The metal is best known for being hypoallergenic, meaning it is great even on the most irritable skins.
- The price point is significantly lower compared to gold, silver, and platinum.
- Despite being less expensive than other metals, it still has a similar look to platinum, and the jewellery will retain its beauty and lustre.
- At Asha Craft, we care about the environment. Stainless steel is the most environmentally-friendly metal in the jewellery world. In the production process, the amount of energy used and waste produced is dramatically less than in the production of other metals.
- Stainless steel is 100% recyclable.
- Although Stainless steel is extremely durable, it can be damaged by repeated exposure to CI2 (Chlorine) aka swimming pool water. Sea water, rain and showers are safe!
- The passive film is the protective layer that forms on Stainless steel and protects it corrosion. Chlorine eats away at this layer, causing microscopic pitting in the metal. Once there is pitting, the metal becomes vulnerable to further pitting and damage. The best is obviously to avoid chlorinated water, but if you forget, simply wash your jewellery off with clean water afterwards, to remove any chlorine residue.
- Since Stainless Steel Jewellery is so incredibly hardy and durable, it also means that it is not easy to resize the rings and wedding bands.
- Specialized industry tools are required to resize Stainless steel rings, which not many local jewellers have access too. We do not offer resizing. So to be safe, use our Ring Size Guide before purchasing that special gift ;)